Job Profile Summary
The Design Principal is responsible for design decisions related to a portfolio of datacenter projects which can include: new construction, phased expansion, retrofits and upgrades, acquisition conversions, mechanical and electrical equipment selections, and standards upgrades in either a specific region or globally. They are an exceptional industry professional progressing towards becoming a recognised expert on datacenter design. The Design Principal critically assesses design decisions with consultation with more senior staff across disciplines and applies required Equinix standards and country specific regulations to make the best design choices. They manage the relationship and output of key design partners and equipment suppliers for their assigned projects and critically assess and escalate issues where the relationship with such partners is not meeting expectations.
Job Description Summary
The Design Principal, EMEA Masterplanning, supports the Director, EMEA Masterplanning & Engineering Development in:
• Executing concept test fit layout exercises using internal Equinix tools, primarily for EMEA, but assisting AMER and APAC Masterplanning Design Directors
• Supports Reference Design development activities
• Continued development, and championing the implementation of, Equinix’s Global Design & Construction (GDC) Sustainability Charter
· Owns and leads a design process, interacting with Architectural, Mechanical and Electrical Partners (MEPs), and other design partners to deliver a portfolio of world class datacenters with a strong focus on technical excellence, mission critical resilience and cost management
· Reviews and contributes to the development of globally standardized tools, techniques and processes for the management and reporting of the design process
· Works with peers in other regions to drive consistency and technical excellence on design and delivery practices and methodologies
· Thinks and acts in a global manner, considering the applicability of any design decision, innovations or standards changes for all regions
• Conducts the master planning of expansion portfolio using global design standards and templates; incorporating regional information to apply these to the inception of projects
• Generates project visualization, initial model using reference design templates and works with Commercial Team to obtain cost estimate for business case inception
• Liaises with regional team to incorporate local infrastructure into the design
• Liaises with commercial management team regionally and globally to assist business case generation
· Maintains interpersonal relationships with internal technical staff, external design consulting partners, construction management, commercial management, and regional P&L holders to ensure appropriate stakeholder exposure and buy in to IBX projects
· Appropriately leverages the center of excellence teams and more senior Design staff to augment their individual technical expertise to ensure all facets of the datacenter design are adequately considered and approved
· Manages internal and external resources via their influence and outstanding competencies
• Partners with Global Operations, GDSTR, and other teams as necessary to achieve alignment on design details.
· Indirectly manages experienced electrical and mechanical engineering staff in the Independent Technical Review and Innovation & Development teams to deliver a portfolio of world-class datacenter designs on time and to budget
· Directly responsible for managing the design schedule for assigned projects to ensure on time creation and review of Basis of Designs (BODs), Real Estate Investment Committee (REIC) Submissions, and design documentation for Issued for Permit (IFP) and Issued for Construction (IFC) sets
• Manages, with the aid of the commercial management team, design budgets and controls change management requests during the construction phase, in consultation with the Construction Manager
• Works hand-in-hand with the regional design teams and Construction Managers to deliver Concept Designs and Standards that support the delivery of world class datacenters
• Manages, with the aid of the commercial management team, the costs of the designs to ensure appropriate balancing of cost flexibility and global standardization
• Tests the cost impact of design concepts with the Commercial Management team and keeps a logical record of pricing-tested design concepts that have been discounted and approved
· Stays up-to-date on advancements in design being investigated by the centers of excellence teams to ensure technologies support future IBX design and construction needs and feeds back information to construction for incorporation of changes
· Ensures designs meet Equinix’s Global Design Standards and the business needs for capacity, density, and function
• Feeds back to GDSTR team requested changes to Global Design Standards arising out of projects.
• Brings a systemic and scale-focused approach to tools and process for early stage design, identifying shortfalls or opportunities to scale and conceptually ideates tools and process development solutions
· 7+ years experience in a Design MEP Firm or in the design team of a Mission Critical Building operator or subcontractor, OR 7+ years experience as an Architectural lead in a Mission Critical Architectural Design Practice preferred
• Pan-European/Middle East/Africa (EMEA) experience of local design/construction practice, and other regions (APAC, AMER), highly desirable
• Advaced Degree (Masters) in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering OR MSc in Architecture is preferred, Bachelor's Degree acceptable or extensive and demonstrable experience in role, Architects to hold RIBA, RA, AIA or local equivalent
· PE, CEng or local equivalent for engineering route candidates desirable but not essential
• Spoken and written English proficiency is essential, additional languages are strongly desirable
You're now being redirected to the application website
Fill in your details
You're now being redirected to the application website
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Equinix is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Please click here to see the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement.
Please click here to see our EEO Policy Statement.
Please click here to see our Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
A one-time (for each page view) session cookie to provide protection against a security attack called "Cross-site scripting (XSS)". This cookie is mandatory, short lived (one page interaction) and contains no candidate personally identifiable information.
A permanent long lived cookie that is associated with your device. This is used to associate your candidate actions to your CRM record.
A temporary session cookie (lasts for 20 minutes after your last interaction). This is used to associate your candidate actions into "visits or sessions" and is recorded against your CRM record. This includes location data (city, country) which allows us to provide more localised and relevant job recommendations and other career related content.